Please click on the link below for information about an upcoming course, Bridge the Gap (BTG) for Activity Professionals, being offered May – July through Central Piedmont Community College. BTG can be used with the 60-hour NC Healthcare Activity Director course to fulfill the MEPAP Part 1 requirement for certification as an Activity Professional through the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (NCCAP).
So, are you, or someone you know, interested in becoming certified as an Activity Professional through NCCAP? And do they have the pre-requisite of the NC state-approved 60-hour Activity Director course? If so, successful completion of BTG puts them one step closer to that certification!
BTG is a 36-hour course offered online through Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC). It is accompanied by a 30-hour practicum (internship) at a pre-approved nursing home that uses the MDS. The course runs from May 20th – July 16th, 2019. Weekly, online chats, which are optional, are held with the instructors. The chats are recorded so students can review the chats at their convenience, if they can not attend the actual chats. While attendance at the live chats is optional, students are accountable for information shared during the chats.
Students are expected to line up their own practicum site and have it pre-approved by the course instructor (me). The Practicum experience is under the direction of a qualified Activity Director, who has worked as an AD for at least 2 years and served as the AD in his/her current nursing home for at least 1 year. Students need to send the contact information for their Practicum Supervisor to me, so the site can be pre-approved before the Practicum can be started.
Registration for the course is now open! Contact Marcus Caldwell at CPCC to register: 704.330.2722 x 7234 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have questions about the course? Give me a call or email me: 980.613.0872 or email@example.com.
Please pass on this information to APs who may be interested in the course. BTG is not offered that often, so please help spread that word that it is available this summer! Thanks.
Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) is offering MEPAP Part 1 during the Spring 2019 semester. The course runs from Thursday, January 10th to Saturday, May 11th. The course is offered online, so it is easily accessible to anyone with an internet connection. A 90-hour practicum experience simultaneously accompanies the course. The practicum must take place in a pre-approved nursing home that accepts Medicare and/or Medicare residents, under an Activity Director (AD) who has at least 2 years’ experience as an AD and has worked at least 1 year in her/his currently AD position.
This course has been approved by NC as a state-approved AD course. Successful participants will meet the regulatory requirements to serve as an AD in the nursing home or assisted living setting. Plus, the course puts participants on track to fulfill the MEPAP Part 1 requirement for certification through the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (NCCAP).
CPCC calls the course Activity Director Part 1 and the course number is OAP 7006-01. The course is offered through the continuing education arm of the college. And the cost is a little over $200. That’s a deal when you compare the cost of this course to other distant-learning courses being offered by other MEPAP instructors nation-wide. To register for the course, call 704.330.4223 or you can register online at http://www.cpcc.edu/cce
with credit card in hand.
If you have questions about the course, or the practicum experience, please call 980.613.0872. As the primary instructor for the course, I’ll be glad to answer your questions.
Barbara Hearne, ACC/ED, AC-BC
- Activity Professional Education across NC
- BRIDGE THE GAP: Need this to complement the Health Care Activity Director course to complete MEPAP Part 1? CPCC is offering this as a HYBRID class (mostly on-line, with 1 weekend in class in Charlotte) Feel free to pass this along to other APs. More information can be found at www.cpcc.edu.
- MEPAP PART 1: Ready to become “qualified” as an activity professional or start the journey towards NCCAP certification? Registration is for anyone who needs it. NOTE: This course is NOT limited to NC residents and the $180 tuition rate applies to in-state AND out-of-state students! More information can be found at www.cpcc.edu
- MEPAP PART 2: The Coalition of Activity Professionals (COAP) is pleased to sponsor this class, . Contact Kathy Wright-Moore, LRT/CTRS, ACC to register.
- The Activity Director 60 Hour State Approved Basic Class Call Forsyth Tech to register Phone: 336-723-0371. http://www.forsythtech.edu/cce/continuing-education/health-amp-safety-careers/activity-director/
- The Activity Director 60 Hour State Approved Basic class at Craven Community College http://cravencc.edu/workforcedevelopment/explore-programs/health-and-medical-programs/
- The Activity Director 60 Hour State Approved Basic Class at Gaston College http://www.gaston.edu/economic-workforce-development/certification-licensure/healthcare-activity-director/
- The Activity Director 60 Hour State Approved Basic Class at Stanly Community College http://www.stanly.edu/continuing-education/health-occupations/activities-director.html
- The Activity Director 60 Hour State Approved Basic Class at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College https://www.rccc.edu/healthoccupations/activity-director-course/